Memory Lane
So this week has been crazy. Between Jordan not feeling well and both of us having a much harder time with Duane being gone, let's just say there hasn't been much sleep at the Koford's. It's times like these that I really appreciate (and should more often) our close friends and family. In my circle of friends there are many married couples, but very few with kids. I know that before I had Jordan I couldn't really identify with what it takes to be a parent (especially of a toddler).
One thing that really helped me prepare to be a mom was the birth of my half-brother Tyler. I was almost 16 when he was born and I was his babysitter when Shauna went back to work. It was a great summer, and it definitely helped me understand what a newborn needs. I grew up a lot that summer, and I will always remember it. I am thankful that I had that opportunity, and even though I know Tyler doesn't remember it, I do.
Along the same topic, but a litle different, I think it is interesting to compare "major" events that my generation remembers with that of our parents. I remember rocking Tyler to sleep in my Dad's living room while watching MTV (yes Real World had just come out and I was addicted to reality TV even then) and seeing the breaking MTV news report about Kurt Cobain's death. I was a big Nirvana fan, and had recorded their Unplugged concert just a few days before. (Talk about dating yourself).
Our parents saw the first man walk on the moon, maybe Vietnam, etc. I wonder if the events that we have seen will be as legendary to our kids. Are they going to have a History book that talks about 9/11, the war in Iraq? Probably, but we also waste a lot of time paying attention to stupid "news" items like what celebrity is in rehab or who got kicked off of a reality show. Our parents watched TV, but was it as important to them as it is to us? As much as I love my DVR, I also have to wonder how much time I waste watching dumb TV shows.

0 comments:
Post a Comment