Beware, toddler tummy issues to follow.
I need to post. My goodness I have been a slacker. I blame how crazy work has been (I only have like 200 webpages to update in the next 2 weeks, but who's counting), and the fact that Jordan has been sick.
Sick, can I just take a minute and write a small dissertation on this? I feel as though I was very well prepared to be a parent. Not COMPLETELY prepared..no one is, but maybe more so than some of my friends have been. The facts that lead me to believe this are as follows: I was pretty much the last one of my friends/sisters-in-law to actually have a baby. I saw many live births, took care of many infants (even overnight), etc. But I contend that you are not ready to be a parent fully until you deal with the wrath that is a toddler with stomach flu. Now, I'm not talking about a baby that spits up as a small infant. While that is gross (and I am not downplaying the smell that is formula or breast milk puke) I have to say that what we encountered the other night in our house was revolting!!!!
Jordan had been sick for a couple of days with really bad "poops"...code for diarrhea that you wouldn't believe. I won't elaborate on that. That would just be going too far. He had also had limited appetite, so on Wed I was happy when he said he was hungry. Like a fool I let him pick out and eat what he wanted. The answer...one of his favorite foods, pickles. So I let him munch on some baby dills while I fixed dinner. Wed is my day off, so I had made a lovely turkey breast, mashed potatoes, gravy, etc. After Duane got home we all dined happily together. It was shaping up to be a wonderful evening. Christmas tree lights glistening in the background, carolers in the neighborhood, it was like a greeting card really...until we got Jordan out of his high chair.
Duane was holding him in the kitchen when suddenly Jordan made a noise. A noise that I won't soon forget. It was like a burp, but more involved. A noise that moms cringe at. I was sitting in the rocking chair watching TV, and immediately froze, waiting to see what would happen next. As I suspected, here came dinner...and the preceding pickles. All over Duane, the floor, the fridge, the counter, the cupboards. Duane took Jordan to the tub, while I was left speechless in the kitchen. Long story short (this is lengthy enough) I got it all cleaned up. But I think I deserve a medal since I have the world's worst reaction to throw up. (Anyone seen 4 Christmases yet? I am worse than Vince Vaughn). I powered through it, and took care of business. I am very proud though. As my first serious throw up experience, I think I have crossed some kind of threshold, into a club or elite group of mothers. But alas, I bet every mom is already there, and I am the last one to know!
Anyway, I just had to rant tonight and get it out of my system. I am as we speak building some slide shows to post tomorrow, so stay tuned. And I promise, no more throw up talk.

1 comments:
I read the title of this and thought - oh no, poor Anne. I will admit I lauged a little, although not at you, just the situation. Once when Zane had the flu or some virus, he had perked up and was feeling better. We gave him his milk - BAD IDEA - NEVER NEVER NEVER give milk to a child with an upset stomach. Needless to say we saw the milk again, curdled and all over our carpet (yes curdled milk on carpet) Thank GOD Kass was home to clean it up and clean the carpets. So, learn from me if you don't already know...no milk for toddlers with tummy issues
Post a Comment