Promises made, promises kept.
Well already my promise to blog more regularly has failed. Let's not call it a failure, let's call it a "change in focus of management responsibilities". Yeah, that sounds better. Hmm, maybe my many years as a people manager has paid off?
All I know is that the last 3 weeks since Christmas has been crazy. We count down all year until Christmas, then it comes and goes, and the next weeks plug on as if nothing ever happened. Jordan is already asking when it's going to be Christmas again, meanwhile I am thankful I have another year to save up the $ and try to budget in advance (which I always say I will but never do) for next year.
Among the many things I have been thankful for over the holidays, and beginning the new year, is the fact the each year I think I "get it" a little bit more. It may have been a good thing in some ways to have been married 10 years before having a baby, and at the same time it may have been to my detriment. As an adult I think I got used to the fact that I knew how much to spend / what to expect from the holidays. The last 3 years have turned my little "world" upside down. I wouldn't trade it for the world, but I wish I could have done it sooner. Not that I didn't try (as those of you who know me are aware), it just wasn't meant to be. Yet again, I believe that things happen for a reason. There must be a lesson I am supposed to learn from all of this. The "getting it" a little more aludes to the fact that I plan a little better, and budget a little better, and try to make the holidays more about my family than I ever did before.
Jordan's birthday is just about a month away. I have been contemplating what big bash birthday party I can do with all of his cousins, extended family on all sides, etc. Since my focus this year is really to get my family (Duane, Jordan and I) more together I think I might opt for a simpler party idea.
He will be turning 3 next month and while he may remember it, I don't know that he needs some big bash at a party place that isn't really even focused on him. I think I may just do cake/ice cream with the different family groups and then spend the money I would have spent on a big party doing something with Duane, Jordan and I. It is (after all) Jordan's birthday, and his cousins are all so much older than he is. I would rather have a great day with the 3 of us than spend a million dollars making other people happy.
Just the ramblings of a mom who has had too little sleep and who thinks too much about things. I am sure I'm not the only one, but just thought I'd share. If you wonder why you aren't getting an invite to Chuck E Cheese's this year, just remember: it's probably the last year it won't matter to Jordan. And it's probably the last year I'll have him to myself (I mean to ourselves) :-)

1 comments:
It's funny how life works out. I used to to a huge party for everyone.. and then once they hit around 3, people don't seems to want to all gather around quite as much for the family parties.. and by kindergarten, they understand that you have friend parties instead.. And now we're at the point where not even doing a party every year. This past year, we just did more individual things.
With Aubrey, I took her to the mall and we had lunch and I let her buy a few things.. still cost less than a big party. With Carson I took him to build a bear and let him get whatever.. I actually kind of prefer this way.
And I'm still not good at budgeting either. lol
Post a Comment